Thursday, March 24, 2011

Third Try is Much Better

The weather here has been so nice lately.  We finally got the Baby Bjorn figured out with the help of Michelle.  I don’t know what happened since we used it with Ethan, but it seemed to be all tangled up or something.  So, I have been venturing out with Sienna in the Baby Bjorn and Ethan on his new trike that my mom bought him when she was here.  We have gone out the last 3 days with today being the first successful day (so-to-speak).

The trike is too big for Ethan, so he has to use his tip toes to push himself, and the wheels hit the back of his heels.  Since he’s never had a trike before, he has to get used to how to do it.  For those of you in the States, basically all of the little Hungarian children have these little plastic trikes once they start walking well.  The moms take the babies or younger children in the strollers and have the older children ride these trikes alongside of them as they take their walks.  I don’t know how it is in the city, but that is how it is in our village (where there aren’t many sidewalks).

So, on Monday we headed down the street.  45 minutes later we got to the end of our block.  Yes, 45 minutes! On the way, Ethan stopped at 2 trashcans that were turned over by the trash men and wanted me to pick them up and set them back the correct way, since he couldn’t.  He stopped to look at every dog on the way down the street, and since the trike was too big, he took longer to ride it than to walk (which is the opposite of how it normally works with these trikes).  When we got to the end of the block, he wanted to go into the little playground which has a sandbox.  So we went.  Soon after he got into the sandbox, Sienna woke up and started crying (because it was feeding time).  It took quite a bit to leave the playground and even get back to our street (with Ethan trying to make the trike go up hill and on a rather bumpy surface), so by the time we got around the corner to our street probably 10-15 minutes had passed (the playground is right on the corner of our street).  I finally just picked Ethan and the trike up and carried him, the trike, and Sienna all back to our house. 

Yesterday, we ventured out to try again.  We made it a little faster this time, in about 20 minutes.  Ethan chose to walk some of the way and pull his trike, which did help with making it faster.  IMG_8262IMG_8243Ethan figured out that the road goes slightly downhill, so he can pick his feet up and the trike will go faster and on its own.IMG_8250Ethan looking around me to watch some people come walking toward us with their dog.IMG_8282Ethan went back into the sandbox (which was more fun because someone left their bucket and shovel).  

I decided that we would try to leave at 1:30 to give us 30 minutes to get back in time for his nap.  As soon as we walked out of the playground fence, Kristen was walking down the street with Seth and Kate.  So, of course, we stopped and started talking.  Ethan and Seth played in the ditch and little field beside of us while we talked.IMG_8290 I finally thought that we’d better start walking toward our house since it was close to Ethan’s nap time and Sienna’s feeding time (and knowing that Ethan could just walk with Seth, or even run, and it would be much faster).  When we got in front of our house, Kristen and I kept talking and then Yulia, who lives down the street, came walking down with her kids.  So all 4 of the boys were running around in front of our house while we talked.  Most of y’all reading this probably know what a talker I am.  So, needless to say, we got inside past Ethan’s nap time.  Well, when we finally went inside, he was hungry from the running around, and he had a poopy diaper.  Sienna was still asleep in the Baby Bjorn, but I knew I couldn’t change Ethan’s diaper with her in front of me like that, so I put her down.  Ethan’s diaper was so bad that I had to give him a bath, and of course, Sienna woke hungry (past her feeding time) before I even put him in the bath.  So, I was trying to quickly give him a bath, get him dressed and down for his nap while she was just crying.  And, of course, I could have prevented much of this by just not talking as long. :-)

So, today, we tried for a 3rd time soon after Sienna ate, but still just an hour before lunch time and 2 hours before Ethan’s nap time.  This time I took the stroller planning to possibly push Ethan home in it.  I didn’t time how long it took us to get to the end of the block, but was successful with Ethan having some time to play in the sand with the toys that were still there and then coming home with him in the stroller and me carrying the trike.  Sienna stayed asleep until I got him his lunch, and then I was able to nurse her as he finished lunch.  I put him down for his nap just a few minutes before two (and I actually was able to take a nap myself while both of them napped- yeah!).  I was excited that this 3rd try to the end of the block was much better! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment