Friday, May 20, 2011

Dr. Carson

The team that we are on with CCC offers a seminary class in Budapest each semester and brings in seminary professors to teach.  The course is this week, and Dr. D.A. Carson is the professor who is teaching.  For those of you who don’t know who he is, he is a professor of the New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.  He is the author/editor of over 60 books, and is one of the top evangelical scholars in the world today.  He preached at our church on Sunday and Gary thought it was the best sermon that he’s heard in a long time.  Sadly, I didn’t really hear it all.  We do have speakers in the nursing mothers room, but I’m very visual and have never been able to listen to preachers on the radio or books on tape, etc.  When Gary preached a few weeks ago, I just sat in the back of the church because I really didn’t want to miss what he said, and I knew I would if I couldn’t see him (and I still didn’t catch it all due to nursing [keep in mind, I can’t even talk and cook at the same time]).  So, it won’t even work for me to go online and listen to Dr. Carson.

He came over for dinner on Monday night.  It was amazing how well rounded he is and how many things he actually does.  He was a chemistry major in his undergraduate degree, he writes poetry and hymns as well as plays the piano.  I just find it interesting for a “science” type person to do these other types of things as well.  He is also a pilot and rides a motorcycle.

I was able to go for part of a day to hear Dr. Carson teach.  I was glad but once again had a difficult time paying attention while sitting in the back and holding or nursing Sienna.  I was able to focus in while she slept, but sadly a window blew shut and knocked a glass in the floor which woke her up.IMG_9010 IMG_9012 Sienna did not pay much attention to what Dr. Carson had to say.  As you see she enjoyed some snoozes.

At some point, another woman was holding Sienna.  Sienna started making some noises, so Gary went over to get her.  When Gary picked up her, Dr. Carson interrupted himself and said not to take Sienna out of the room if she is making a little noise.  He said that if she gets up to 140 decibels then we can take her out, but that he would like Gary and me both to be able to stay in there, and if Sienna leaves that means that one of us has to leave.  Then he told the singles that if they didn’t like it to suck it up.  I thought that was very gracious of him (on our part).  Thankfully, she did very well and wasn’t fussy like she can be at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment