Saturday, July 30, 2011

Kandern, Germany

I had my last Bible class through PBU last week.  I finished all of my educational classes a few years ago, but still had a few Bible courses to complete my master’s degree in International Education.  Professors fly to Kandern from Philadelphia each summer to teach graduate classes on the campus of Black Forest Academy (a boarding school for missionary kids).  We have pre-course work and then five days of class from 8:30-4:30.  Then we have post course work to e-mail to the teachers afterward.  It worked out well with the timing to nurse Sienna before going to class, then at lunch time, and again after class.  The teacher kept us later than we were supposed to stay on most days, which caused me to be a little concerned.  But typically Sienna was just waking up from her afternoon nap when I would get back.

Kandern is the smallest city in Germany.  It is a beautiful area and a great place for hiking.  Sadly, it was fairly cold and rained most of the days we were there.   Seeing as how I love the mountains it would have been difficult had I seen this place before moving to Budapest.  If I could have had a choice I would have chosen to serve at BFA due to the location (as well as the ability to get certain food items that we can’t get here like sweet pickles :-)).  It’s a good thing that I knew I had been called to ICSB by the time I ever visited BFA.

It was strange talking about Systematic Theology for hours each day when I’m used to talking about tractors, trucks, and animals much of my days.  I really enjoyed the class a lot and found it to be helpful for ministry.  I also enjoyed being able to discuss the material with Gary after the kids went to bed each night since he already knows all that I was learning.

We stayed in someone’s apartment who lives across from the train station.  Ethan enjoyed seeing the trains up close in person.IMG_9991IMG_0005He also liked being the center of attention.  Our class went to an ice cream shop one afternoon.  As you can see, Ethan is sitting in the middle of everyone just loving being a part of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment