Wednesday, February 15, 2012

When Husbands are Gone

Well, it often seems that things go wrong when Gary is gone.  It’s that way for another family on our team as well.  I mentioned that we did not have internet when we returned from Prague.  Our company was bought out and changed hands while we were gone.  When we returned to no internet, they told us that we needed to change the username and password on our modem.  Since the modem came with the house, we didn’t know the username or password and had difficulty trying to get help from the company.  We finally had to pay a person to work on stuff with it.  After the username and password thing got figured out, it still didn’t work.  So, then they were told that we needed to buy a new modem.  They came over last Monday and tried out two different modems just to make sure we didn’t go out and buy one and then it not work.  Sure enough, neither of the modems worked.  He called the company, and they said that there had been an administrative error and they had cancelled our service.  He asked if they could just turn it back on, and they said no, that we would have to sign a new contract.  After spending over a week of trying to deal with this new company and having nothing but problems with them, we decided to look for a different internet provider.  Come to find out, there weren’t really many other options of companies.  In Hungary the internet companies don’t really compete with one another, so if there are already one or two companies who service an area, other companies don’t give service to that same area.  At least that is what one of the Hungarians said that I spoke to about this.  The new company says that we should have internet service in about a week and a half or two weeks.

The night before Gary left I dropped my cell phone by accident, and the screen went blank.  I could still receive a call and dial a number, so that was good.  A few days later the screen came back on, but was upside down and backwards.  Strange!  An upside down and backward screen, however, it is better than no screen!

At some point during the week our landline telephone also stopped working. 

And then on Friday morning, I was so excited because someone had invited us over to their house for the kids to play and to have lunch together.  With Ethan and me both having a large need for social interaction, we were looking forward to this.  I got the pack ‘n play loaded in the car for Sienna to take a nap, got some bags in, Ethan buckled in, and went to start the car while I scraped the ice off the windshield, but the car battery was dead.  So, sadly, we weren’t able to go out.  But I was so thankful that this didn’t happen before I needed to go to the Body & Soul exercise class that I lead the day before.  I don’t know what I would have done in that case. 

I don’t dare ask what else can happen before Gary comes back, because I know that more stuff can happen. :-)

Well, I wrote this post before Gary returned, but he is home now.  However, he missed his train in Croatia, so had to come home the next day.  And, then the train was several hours late (due to snow) the next morning, so he didn’t arrive until the next evening (verses the afternoon).

No comments:

Post a Comment